All About

Study in United States

United States Quick Fact

  • US Universities are ranked amongst the Best in the World.
  • The United States of America is located on the continent of North America. There are 50 states in the U.S. Forty-eight of the states form the contiguous United States.
  • In addition to the 50 states, the U.S. has several territories and possessions, located in the Caribbean Sea and the Pacific Ocean.
  • In United State, Central Government does not control education system rather, higher education System in private schools are controlled by either independent groups of people or trustees and the public schools are controlled by state and local government
  • S Education Department reviews, recognizes and supervises accredited education centers or schools to ensure quality education and programs
  • For school to be accredited in the U.S it must meet a specific academic, administrative and financial standard of the country
  • Degree certificate from accredited school are recognize by employers and education institutions all over the world.

Click Lets Help You Get Started →

Great Job Opportunity

On completion of your undergraduate or graduate program, you are legally permitted to work in the US in related field for about a year and six month to two years. All you need to do is apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT). Most international student are retained by the company that hire them during their OPT and further sponsor their H1B or work visa and once this is granted you are authorized to work in the US as long as you wish.

Excellent Financial Support

The US provides a wide range of support for international students. Most universities offer grants, loans, and allowances to students to foot their daily expenses as well as tuition in some cases. If student can show certain level academic excellence, their studies may turn out to be free by working as a University assistantship. Universities also provide on-campus work programs for students who are eligible for a specific kind of job.

Renowned Record of Academic Excellence

This is one of the strong selling points of American education. Top Schools in the US admits only the best students around the world and they consistently provide quality education by an expertly trained faculty. This quality education is yearly upheld making the degrees obtained by their student not just widely recognized but also respected.

Good Academic Flexibility

Unlike many Countries, education system in the US allows flexibility in terms of course that are offered, this enable students select different choice of subject from a variety of topic and as such cutting off unnecessary classes. Again since some courses are offered multiple times during the academic year, you can choose a class at anytime during the academic year and you can complete your program at your own pace due to the quarterly or semester system.

Good Supportive Research Project

The United State is the right choice if you want to embark on academic research. When you enroll into an MS/PhD program, your research grant will support some of your personal need by waving your tuition and providing you with an allowance. The Central government or reputed multinational corporative also support the grants and founding for most research work.

Though tuition and living expenses vary considerably from Universities / Colleges and province HSBC 2014 report shows that United States is the third most expensive study location aside from Singapore and Australia stating that the average annual cost of study; tuition and living cost is about US$37,000.


School fee vary from schools base on where you want to study. Community Colleges is about US$5,000 to US$10,000, Public Universities ranges from US$19,000 to US$28,000 while, Private University could be from US$45,000 to US$58,000. (All fees are per academic year).

University Tuition Fees for Full-time International Students (in U.S Dollars)

Social Sciences US$20,100 US$34,950 US$23,400
Engineering US$29,800 US$32,800 US$34,950
Nursing US$29,800 US$32,800 US$29,950
Biomedical sciences US$29,800 US$32,800 US$28,810
Pre- Dentistry US$29,800 US$32,800 US$23,400*
Pre- Pharmacy US$29,800 US$32,800 US$23,400*
Education** US$11,750 US$20,400 US$23,400
Business US$13,800 US$24,00 US$29,590
MBA N/A N/A US$28,810
Computer and Information sciences US$13,800 US$24,000 US$29,590
Architecture US$28,800 US$32,800 US$29,590

Please Note: Fees varies from schools. The fees here are selected from some prestigious schools.

*Fees apply to Dentistry and Pharmacy.

**Not all branches of Education are applicable.

Living Cost in the United States

Cost of housing of living varies greatly in the U.S base on your location. However your budget for housing and living expenses as an international student could be US$7,500 to US$12,000 per term or US$14,000 to US$24, 000.

Undergraduate Programme in United States

Although admission policies varies from school, most admission requirements are based on common criteria, such includes; student’s course of study, high school Grade Point Average (GPA). Some US universities may also require applicant to take one of the standardized tests in order to be admitted. U.S recognizes only WAEC result from Nigeria.

You will require the following to be admitted into United States Universities or Colleges:

  • Properly filled application form
  • Application fee (If applicable minimum of US$ 100)
  • Secondary School Transcript (SS1, SS2, SS3 1st & 2nd Term)
  • WAEC RESULT (If applicable)
  • Valid International Passport Data Page
  • Personal Statement/Statement of interest (If applicable)
  • IELTS or TOEFL or PTE Academic Result.
  • SAT Result (If applicable)

Graduate/Masters Programme in the United States

If you are applying for graduate studies in the U.S ensure you have completed a four-year post secondary institution degree programme as you will basically need to provide your degree certificate or statement of result. Unlike U.K and Canada, United States of America does not recognize HND program so it has to be BA or BSc. Further to this you must provide an acceptable level of English Language Proficiency.

As a Nigerian student you should have the following if you are considering Masters programme in U.S

  • Completed application form
  • Degree Transcript
  • Degree Certificate (if available)
  • Application of minimum of US100 (If applicable)
  • Valid International Passport Page
  • Personal Statement/Statement of Interest
  • Two recommendation/Reference letters from school or work place
  • Personal Statement/Statement of Interest.
  • IELTS or TOEFL or PTE Academic Result
  • GRE or GMAT (If applicable).

Academic start dates varies from schools and programs in the United State. However most Universities majorly have three start dates such as Fall- August / September, Spring – January, and Summer- May. Some even have four start dates in a year Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. It is advisable to start your application process at least (6) months to the start date to allow enough time for the application and visa process.

A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the US must first obtain either nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or immigrant visa for permanent residence. Your course of study and type of aspired institution determine whether you need F-1 or M-1 visa. For example if you are entering the United State to attained University or College, High School, Elementary School, Seminary, or another academic institution for Language training you will need an F-1 visa. However, if you are going for vocational or other recognize nonacademic institution, you definitely need an M- Visa.

To obtain student visa for U.S the following documents are required:

  • Admission Letter from SEVP approved school
  • Student and Exchange Visitor Information System I-901 (SEVIS) Receipt. (When you have been accepted by the U.S school you will be enrolled in the SEVIS)
  • I-20 Form from your accepted school.
  • Fill the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application Form DS-160. You must upload you photo while completing the first step (photo must be in a specified format)
  • Complete online visa appointment form and print the confirmation page:
  • Sponsor’s Bank Statement (Prove of sufficient fund for tuition and living cost)
  • Consent Letter from Sponsor
  • Birth Certificate
  • Marriage or divorce Certificate (if applicable)
  • Two passport photograph, usually 2cm by 2cm format (ensure your two ears are visible and it on white background)
  • Valid International Passport. (your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after entrance to the U.S)
  • Academic Documents (originals)
    • Up to date Academic Transcript
    • WAEC Result
    • Degree Certificate
    • NYSC Certificate (if applicable)
  • Receipt of all payments towards your tuition.

Before your graduation as an undergraduate or graduate international student, you can work on part-time basis for up to 20 hour every week. An international student can work On-Campus or Off-Campus.

During the first year at school, students may only work on-campus such as the school library, the gym, or the bookstore. Working for 15 to 20 hour per week may cover personal and books expenses but not the majority of education cost.

However, from the second year, you can apply for a position as Residence Assistance. An RA oversees students housing, acting as point of contact for questions and concerns of students regarding accommodation. As a reward, an RA is supported with free accommodation and may be with additional meal plan and a small salary. This applies to both off-Campus Accommodation.

Also student can work as an intern. Student who has completed the first year may apply for CPT, Curricular Practical Training. With this students can work as an intern or in a work program off-campus for 15 to 20 hour per week.

Stay and Work in the United Kingdom after Graduation

After graduation, you may apply for Optional Practical Training OPT. This gives you the opportunity to work for 1 year in a related field of your area of study. Your work can be extended to 2 years and 5 month if you have degrees from Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics majors. The employer may exempt an OPT and you can work in the United States without returning to you country.

To qualify for OPT in the U.S international students must at least:

  • Studied a full time university or college or any government approves post-secondary educational institution for at least two one year.
  • Have completed and pass their programme and now eligible to obtain a degree certificate.
  • To get additional 17 month OPT, student must have completed a degree from Science, Technology, Engineering, Majors.
  • You must have an F-1 student visa. With this Students are eligible for a total of 12 months OPT per education level completed.